Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The sun is shining!!!

The sun is shining, I think it’s about time to update again! So far, since last time I updated, not much has happened.  Since the kids here are on vacation, there isn’t much else to do but paperwork.  They have me pretty much grading papers from the last time the kids were here.  They have a bat program, where the kids come here to Tirimbina and they take a pre-test on what they know and their opinions on bats, then they get a presentation from us on bats, then we go out into the rainforest to look for bats, and then the kids take a post-test, which is the same questions as the pre-test.  So right now I’m inputting the data from the pre and post-tests into excel to see if the kids learned something.  It’s no hike in the rainforest, but it keeps me busy, and I don’t mind it.

            On the social front, not much has happened, until today haha. I have kind of made friends with one of the cleaning ladies, as well as the bartender (not because I’ve been drinking!).  I have noticed that every day for lunch there is about 10-15 students my age who come to Tirimbina to hang out and eat, but I have never said much to any of them until today.  One kid named Matt came up and introduced himself and we had a nice conversation about what we were each doing here, and explained to me that all of these people my age were from a university in Indiana who were staying with families really close to Tirimbina, and their Spanish teacher was staying here.  He invited me to come play cards with them or hang out with them sometime, which was nice of him.  Then another kid from the group, named Todd, who I had talked to briefly once before came over to see how I was doing and to invite me to a party at his host families house this Saturday where pretty much all the Indiana kids will be.  So yay with my social life!

            Last post I commented on how I was probably going to walk to town soon.  Well, so far I have only walked to the supermarket, which is 10 minutes away, and only half way to town.  It was pretty uneventful except I got a lot of honks and shouts (because I am CLEARLY not from around here hahaha).
           
            So far just walking around the main part of Tirimbina where the cabins and reception area are I have seen several little lizards, some cool bugs, some pretty neat birds and once I saw some monkeys playing around in the trees.  My camera is broke, so no pictures for now, but hopefully soon! I miss everyone and I hope to update soon again :D    

No comments:

Post a Comment